Its 2013! and there are definitely other issues that Nigerian Government should be Tackling and not legalizing underage marriage by leaving the year/age barrier open.
A list of certain senators who "Okayed" this bill surfaced online recently see below..
1. Sen. Abdulmumin M. Hassan (Jigawa South West, PDP)
2. Sen. Abdullahi Danladi (Jigawa North West, PDP)
3. Sen. Adamu Abdullahi (Nasarawa West, PDP)
4. Sen. Ahmed Barata (Adamawa South, PDP)
5. Sen. Akinyelure Ayo (Ondo Central, Labour Party)
6. Sen. Alkali Saidu A. (Gombe North, PDP)
7. Sen. Bagudu Abubakar A. (Kebbi Central, PDP)
8. Sen. Dahiru Umaru (Sokoto South, PDP)
9. Sen. Galaudu Isa (Kebbi North, PDP)
10. Sen. Garba Gamawa (Bauchi North, PDP)
12. Sen. Gobir Ibrahim (Sokoto East, PDP)
13. Sen. Gumba Adamu Ibrahim (Bauchi South, PDP)
14. Sen. Hadi Sirika (Katsina North, CPC)
15. Sen. Ibrahim Bukar Abba (Yobe East, ANPP)
16. Sen. Jajere Alkali (Yobe South, ANPP)
17. Sen. Jibrilla Mohammed (Adamawa North, PDP)
18. Sen. Kabiru Gaya (Kano South, ANPP)
19. Sen. Lafiagi Mohammed (Kwara North, PDP)
20. Sen. Lawan Ahmad (Yobe North, ANPP)
21. Sen. Maccido Mohammed (Sokoto North, PDP)
22. Sen. Musa Ibrahim (Niger North, CPC)
23. Sen. Ndume Mohammed Ali (Borno South, PDP)
24. Sen. Sadiq A. Yaradua (Katsina Central, CPC)
25. Sen. Saleh Mohammed (Kaduna Central, CPC)
26. Sen. Tukur Bello (Adamawa Central, PDP)
27. Sen. Ugbesia Odion (Edo Central, PDP)
28. Sen. Umar Abubakar (Taraba Central, PDP)
29. Sen. Usman Abdulaziz (Jigawa North East, PDP)
30. Sen. Ya’au Sahabi (Zamfara North, PDP)
31. Sen. Zannah Ahmed (Borno Central, PDP)....
32. Sen. Ahmad Rufai Sani (Zamfara West, ANPP)
33. Sen. Ahmad Abdul Ningi (Bauchi Central, PDP)
34. Sen. Bello Hayatu Gwano (Kano North, PDP)
35. Sen. Ibrahim Abu (Katsina South, CPC)..
With a certain senator precisely Senator Ahmad Sani Yarima who married a 13 year old Egyptian some years back even issuing a statement that he doesnt mind giving out his 6 year old for marriage.. How Pathetic!
If Nigeria cannot even Imagine passing the bill for gay rights which is even ADULTS doing whatever to "Themselves" are we not Hypocrites if we now want to accept a law that allows young girls' innocence to be violated all in the name of underage Marriage??
There are millions of Underage girls in the northern parts of the country suffering from VVF(Vesicovaginal fistula an abnormal fistulous tract extending between the bladder and the vagina that allows the continuous involuntary discharge of urine into the vaginal vault) who are then abandoned to their fate by these supposed beasts who force them to marry as young as 12/13 and even stories of men tearing up these young children with blades and sharp objects just to have their way.
The UN Statistics and Grants that head towards Northern Nigeria for VVF treatment is staggering!! This is the time for change! It must Stop! The Girl Child must be Liberated!
We stand for the girl Child to experience her Innocence,have an Education,experience life ,develop and mature at her pace not be forced into darkness,depression,sickness and diseases.
There is no justification whatsoever!!!,religion or tradition do not count in this!!! we are first HUMAN BEINGS before being Muslims or Christians or Atheists.
Humanity will not support Inhumanity to the Girl Child Please stand up! and take a stand! 18 is the AGE! we stand for nothing Lower than that. Stand up and make a move the Nigerian Government must rescind this modern day dehumanization.
Sign the Petition Here!!